Montag, 19. August 2013

0002 ~Preparations - Accomodation for Holidays~

Okay.

So I got my flightticket, insurance, visa and money to survive the first 1-2 months.

What's missing?

Right!

A place to rest from all the fun that's about to come! : D


As I already mentioned I've been to Japan three times already.
So here is the history of my different styles of accomodation:

Host Family
The first time I stayed at a guest family and that's something I don't want to do anymore, although it was a great experience! I payed about 1000€ for one month, but all meals were included and they even took me to Disneyland and other places, although I was only staying for one month : )
However, being 24.1 and soon turning 24.2 I think living with a family is something that would limit my possibilities in enjoying my time over there.



Guest Hosue / Shared Room:
Second time I went to Japan I stayed with a friend at a hostel in Asakusa. We shared a room and it was about.. 700€ for 3 weeks + 1week in a single room (since my friend only stayed 3 weeks).
We stayed at Khaosan which is located in Asakusa and although the hostel was really clean and the staff was super nice, Asakusa is pretty much far away from every place you want to spend a lot of time at.
The subway that went straight from Asakusa to Shibuya took about 45 minutes and on a daily basis this amount of travel time seemed not very convinient.

Since 2008 they opened a lot of new hostels and guesthouses, all located in the Asakusa area.
If you are more the type of person that want to experience the 'old Japan' with temples and castles and stuff like that, this might be a perfect option for a small budget!

Website of Khaosan: http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/index.html

Hostel / Dorm
The last time I stayed at a hostel that was only about 300€ for one month.
And that's all I have to say about its positive aspects.
It was called "Shinjuku Guesthouse", but actually it was located in Nishi-Waseda. Although this is a part of Shinjuku, it's actually closer to Takadanobaba.
It was a 10 minutes walk from the subway station (Waseda) and a 15-20 minutes walk to Takadanobaba JR station.
Once you reached the eather station travel time was short!
There was also a just on the other side of the street that stopped in front of Alta in Shinjuku which took about 20 minutes and was only 120yen for one way.
However...
I had to stay in a dorm with 11 other people and my space was limited to one tatami mat. I took the lower bed and since there was no space for luggage my bag stayed on top of my bed for the whole time I was staying there.
There was a kitchen, but I really did not want to use it, since it was ... filthy..
There were also some strange Japanese guys staying and probably living there.. Literally living.. like full time.. not just holiday.
As this option was okayish for just one month where I just needed a place to sleep, I definately would not want to live at a place like this for longer than this.

Website of Tenten/Shinjuku Guesthouse: http://www.tokyo-guesthouse.com/


Where have you stayed?
Maybe you also stayed at a place I stayed at lately?
Did it change?

In my next entry I will tell you about where I looked for an accomodation for my 1-year stay!

4 Kommentare:

  1. Hi Rina!

    How would living with a Host fammily limit you experience over there? Do they often have some strange rules like you shouldn't go out lately or you have to stay up early?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hello Yasu! :)

      Well that depends on the family of course.
      I was lucky enough that it was okay with them when I was eating out with friends at the evening. I also was allowed to sleep one night at a friends place and return in the morning.

      Since most families aren't living in central Tokyo, but more like.. Saitama or Yokohama it's also basically impossible to come home late, because trains (and especially busses) wouldn't ride that late ^ ^;

      I also had people in my class, who weren't allowed to eat somewhere else for dinner.

      I think it totally depends on what you'd like to do when you're in Japan :)
      Your host family might be able to show you how to behave at a shrine or take you to Disneyland or Ueno Zoo, while they probably wouldn't spent a night at Kabuki-Cho ;)

      Löschen
  2. So your experience comes from people going to school so they probably where underage? In that case it makes sense cause the families have a parental responsibility. To be not allowed to eat somewhere else for dinner sounds really strange to a 21yo ^^"

    Well if you missed the last train, would it be a good opportunity to test those Capsule hotels? Did you ever tried one?
    Or take a taxi cab... if you are 2 or 3 people wouldn't it be that much expensive anymore?

    I'm asking because i would like to stay in a host family a couple of weeks ^o^

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh no you got me wrong.
      It was a language school. Most people were in their early 20s :)

      Missing the last train is actually really impolite! You are staying with a family and if you want to have fun at night and party, then it's probably no good idea to stay and especially live with a family!

      They might have young children that have to go to school or kindergarden and they might have to get up early for their jobs, so the last thing you would want to do is disturbing them by coming home late.

      They open their house for you and especially if you are just staying a couple of weeks it wouldn't be wise to do a lot on your own! They might get the impression that you just wanted to have cheap accomodation and save money on meals. :/

      My personal advice would be:
      If you want to explorer Japan's nightlife and clubs and eat out a lot for dinner, then you should better stay at a guesthouse.
      On the other hand.. if you'd like to know how families live in Japan, then.. well stay at a host family, but be respectful and follow their rules :)

      Löschen